Monday, April 7, 2008

Guess What Susie and I Did Today!

It was a Beautiful Day... just a bit cold and a little windy.
We drove to their farm for a good morning's walk!
And, as far as I'm concerned, this is one of my favorite Spring sounds!
(Click on the left arrow to activate sound!)


After admiring the goats, we walked 'round the farm's perimeter.
Starting with the goats...
... and heading across a field,
it didn't take long to get to the creek.

Much earlier this Spring, there were huge ice jams and floods. The water was actually way over the banks! Here are a couple of photos taken March 17, from an earlier walk.

These chunks of ice were left in a "tributary."
Sorry for the crazy angle of the photo.
Can you tell those are dirty chunks of ice along the bank?
The huge blocks of ice on the flooded waters must have broken
the top of this tree.
?? Who made these tracks???
The rest of the photos were taken today, April 7. You might notice a faint "greenness" covering the ground.
A couple of Canada Geese enjoying a leisurely float. :-)
Isn't this a beautiful sight?
An "intact" clam, which Susie returned to the water.
Signs of beaver damage.
What caused the odd growth of this tree?
Not mosquito larvae already?!!?
I'm guessing Sumac.
Does that mean we veer left before we stop? ;-)
Trillium!
Can there Really be fungi already?
Meet "Blossom!" She's very affectionate.
See the little fellow on the left? He's not very old.
And he has a twin. :-)
Keep your eye on the wiggly tail in the center of the video.
That's the twin (seen above) that I get to hold! :-)


And here's Susie. She's captured the little fellow.
Little did he know, when he got up this morning,
that he was going to be the recipient of all this attention!
:-)

Does this inspire you to write a little poetry?
I've loved this poem, ever since I was very young.

Trees
by Sergeant Joyce Kilmer
b. 12/6/1886, killed in action near Ourcy, 7/30,1918

I think that I shall never see
a poem lovely as a tree.

A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the earth's sweet flowing breast;

A tree that may in Summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;

Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.

Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.

And I must echo "amen."

And I must say that this was a Great Day! :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shady - What an interesting walk about! At least I got to hear somebody's spring peepers. The hike was great, as were the animals - cute twins! Blossom's a handsome lass. Appropriate poem, too. Thanks for the break!... Deb

Shady Gardener said...

Hi Deb,
It was a beautiful day, albeit a bit chilly. We had a wonderful time.

About Me

My photo
I enjoy being outdoors! I also love that I've two children (now grown up with families of their own)and six young grandchildren! :-) Sure would like to see them more often!!